- •Plastic pollution is ubiquitous but quantitative estimates are still limited.
- •Common methodologies need to be standardized for microplastic (MP) monitoring.
- •MPs introduce several biological and chemical hazards in marine food webs.
- •MPs are not biologically inert, causing complex ecotoxicological effects.
- •Fate and impact of MPs in the marine environment are still far to be elucidated.
Carlo Giacomo Avio, Stefania Gorbi, Francesco Regoli, Marine Environmental Research, Available online 17 May 2016, In Press