(…) Collectively, these experiments demonstrate that fish will actively take up microplastics from the water column, as well as ingesting them via their diet. Although ingestion of the micron-sized plastics does not appear to adversely impact the survival or health of adult fish, at least in the short term, there is evidence to support negative changes in the body condition of larval fish. Furthermore, there was evidence that MPs have the potential to partition an organic pollutant and act as a vector to transport this chemical into the food chain. These results highlight the need for longer-term studies that can more fully evaluate the environmental impacts of plastic ingestion for aquatic organisms.
Environment Agency UK, T. Katzenberger and K.Thorpe, March 2015